Following the loss of both games last week to the rain we were keen to take on Scarborough at the oval. Head grass cutter Andy Jones had worked hard during the week -despite plenty of rain, to produce another excellent wicket. The game would prove to be just as good too. With a couple of changes due to holidays and those returning we fielded a fairly strong side.

Following the toss which Captain George Gibson won we put the opposition in to bat.
Niti and Ollie Riley opening the bowling once again. Both getting plenty out of the wicket with Niti troubling both openers including what must have been an extremely close LBW shout early on which was not given.

Riley the first to strike when Chris Binnie took an absolute top class catch at second slip only to throw the ball up quite quickly which then necessitated a debate between umpires and players as to the authenticity of the catch. OUT!

Niti continued to trouble the batsmen and it wasn’t long before he too snared a wicket with Eshaan taking a catch, after drinks, Niti would snaffle another, again a sharp one going to Eshaan at point.

With the score at 51-3 Niti clean bowled the next man in and we were looking strong. However, a spirited fight back soon followed and the middle order took the score to 92 as Eshaan took the big wicket – caught at long on by Andrew Jones. Once again Scarborough rallied to 140 before Eshaan struck again. The run rate ebbed and flowed before Simon Marriott fresh from his break in Malta, struck with a peach of a ball to dismiss their skipper.

With Eshaan grabbing another wicket (despite some inconsistent bowling) we closed out the 45 overs keeping Scarborough to 192/8. Niti 11/2/3/32, Ollie 7/1/1/27, Rob White 7/0/0/31, Eshaan 12/0/3/76 and Simon 8/0/1/24.

Some excellent ground fielding too from the whole team, including the veteran Gibson patrolling the covers with aplomb, plus two standout catches from Chis Binnie.

We took tea at the Pax, marked and rolled the wicket and set about our reply.

Chris Binnie and Mike Cole opened up, Scarborough were keen to bowl good line and length, within a couple of overs Binnie had gone caught behind. Once again The umpires conferred and off he went back to the hut. Niti joined Mike at the crease, however, it wasn’t long before Coley mistimed a short delivery to sky one to mid off. Suddenly at 7/2 the challenge looked very tough.

In walked the captain to join Niti, he dispatched the second ball to the boundary and despite a couple of slow overs where both batsmen watched each ball on its merits the partnership grew. Gibson hitting three consecutive boundaries just before drinks.

Straight after drinks Niti miss judged one and went, caught at cover. The opposition were getting excited, but that didn’t last long as Eshaan moved the score along again with Gibson beyond 100. Eshaan was the next to go caught behind with the score on 108.

We now needed 85 off 18 overs. The bowlers were rotated and fielders moved two or three times an over, to try and slow the game up but to no avail. Gibson went to his 50 with a quick single and a raised bat.

With the score on 139 George departed very well caught at deep square leg for a fine 51.
We needed 53 more. Enter Andy Jones to join Ollie at the crease. Sensible batting prevailed with a couple of outstanding maximums from Ollie, quick singles and good calling meant that target soon came into single figures. With plenty of vocal support from the team on the boundary along with the second team who came back to the ground to support us the winning runs hit the boundary.

Terrific knock from Ollie Riley and well supported by Andy Jones. A five wicket win against the top of the table. A big 30 points in the bag. Thanks to Matt for umpiring and Julie for scoring.

The team enjoyed celebrating at the ground. Well done TABS.