The first team entertained Thirsk at the oval. Having convincingly won the last game of the season at the opposite fixture last year TABS were keen to maintain the winning start to the year. However, with a number of regulars away, injured, revising or not available we had an altogether new squad.

After a warm up and team talk from stand in captain Whatmore we won the toss and elected to bat first. Openers Jones and Whatmore moved the score along before Jones was trapped LBW. With second team skipper Mike Cole moving up to the first team it seemed logical to bat him at three, as the scoreboard reached 50 it looked a good call. However, just when he looked as though a big score was on the horizon the stand in skipper to nicked one to the keeper for a solid 32.

Suddenly from looking good the wickets fell with Eshaan going for a duck, prior to a mix up with Tom Kilby and Cole resulting in Tom getting run out – despite looking in decent touch. Thanks for standing in Tom a top effort. Mark Freeman soon followed him back to the hut. TABS 85/6. Gibson senior (despite man flu) came to the crease for a rare first team start, defending well and getting Cole the strike they put on 43 prior to Cole slightly misjudging one to go for an excellent 59.

We scrambled through with a decent cameo from Ollie Walsh at 144:9, with Gibson not out 15. A below par total and so it was to be proved. After a magnificent tea at the Pax we reconvened to bowl.

Toby and Guy opened up, with Toby getting some lift and bounce out of the wicket he managed to snare an early breakthrough. Guy was unlucky not to get at least two wickets with chances going to ground which on another day would have made a difference. The scoreboard ticked on and despite a late wicket for Ollie Walsh and a good over from Rowan where a chance went down Thirsk hit their target for a six wicket win.

Thanks to Matt for umpiring, Bo for scoring and Andy for producing an excellent wicket.

Training on Wednesday evening this week at the oval.